BENEFITS OF POSTPARTUM – MALAYSIAN BENGKUNG BELLY BINDING
Belly Binding is a sacred practice of wrapping the hips, belly and torso of postpartum women tightly with a long piece of fabric. This practice is an ancient art and has been used by many cultures around the world spanning several generations.
The Malaysian form of belly binding originates with the Indonesian Bengkung culture while mainly being practiced in Southeast Asia. Binding the belly brings attention to the womb as it honors its role in supporting creation and the job it has fulfilled.
A special warming herbal paste is made fresh before being applied directly to the abdomen before wrapping. The wrap is typically worn for forty days. In our western society women are wrapped for three to five days and then it is their own personal choice to learn and continue the daily wrap. Essential oils may be used instead of herbs. Belly binding is powerfully healing!
Belly binding physically heals the body and emotionally honors the mother during the immediate postpartum period. Mamas that have had a vaginal birth can usually begin belly binding at day four as this allows the body to continue involution and establish bonding. Mamas who have had a cesarean section can begin at usually six weeks postpartum or when the incision has healed.
Benefits of Bengkung Belly Binding:
A Therapeutic Approach to Postpartum Care:
- Helps the body heal faster by assisting the uterus, pelvic organs and all other internal organs return to its pre-pregnancy size as it speeds the process by the constant pressure and tight support
- Assists the abdominal walls to retract which helps prevent diastasis recti (separation of the abdominal wall)
- Helps shrinks cells by getting rid of excess water retention and fat storage
- Encourages body to expel blood naturally by lessening lochia and its duration
- Helps prevent pubis symphysis diastasis by supporting the pelvic area and pelvic floor
- Helps realign posture to it’s pre-pregnancy state while encouraging good posture
- Helps prevent back pain
- Lessens after birth pains
- Improves circulation
- Hormones are more easily balanced aiding in weight loss
- Closes the pelvis and rib cage
- Helps prevent the “empty” feeling after giving birth
- Beneficial for a still-birth or miscarriage as it provides physical and emotional support
- It provides a feeling of being safe and secure
- It’s comforting
- It feels awesome as it soothes the body, mind and soul!
COST FOR YOUR PERSONAL, CUSTOM TAILORED POSTPARTUM –
BENGKUNG BELLY BINDING SERVICES
Three Days: Every morning for three consecutive days
Includes Wrap & Application with/Special Warming Paste or Essential Oils
Five Days: Every morning for five consecutive days
Includes Wrap & Application with/ Special Warming Paste or Essential Oils
© Synergy Baby Doula, 2018 – Utah
Happily providing services to women & their families for their own empowerment since 2012
Fill out the form below to schedule your custom wrap!