We are birth professionals that are trained and experienced in the childbirth process and have received specialized training to assist prior to pregnancy, during pregnancy in the preparations for labor and birth, and during the postpartum period.
Synergy Baby Doulas♥ work for women. We are dedicated to her, the partner and entire family. We excel at physical, emotional, and informational support: preconceptually, while pregnant, during labor & birth, and postpartum. We provide knowledge and resources for a rewarding experience. We assist with whatever postpartum needs a family has to help ease the transition for everyone while providing positive support.
Our role is unique on the birth team as the work is non-clinical in nature. We do not intervene with clinical care, but give supportive information and guidance as she desires, while respecting her decisions. We complement her partner and other professionals on the birth team while helping achieve a positive and gratifying birth experience, even empowering!
If planning a hospital birth a doula should not be given a second thought. We help navigate the medical model of care while providing comfort and positive work. Some CNM’s spend more time with their patients during labor while doctors are called in by nurses during second stage or sooner if a problem arises. We are there at every stage along the way, caring and assisting.
If planning on birthing at home birth or at a birth center, it’s important to have a doula that is not affiliated with the midwives to receive unbiased and continuous physical, emotional and informational support.
Numerous clinical studies have found that a doula’s presence at birth:
- results in shorter labors with fewer complications
- reduces negative feelings about one’s childbirth experience
- reduces the need for labor inducing drugs and medical interventions
- reduces the request for pain medications and epidurals, as well as the incidence of cesareans
- less postpartum depression
- shorter hospital stays for mother and baby
- fewer admissions to special care nurseries
- breastfeeds more easily
- more affectionate mothers during the postpartum period
- greater satisfaction with birth experience
The above study findings were obtained from DONA® International
“The stats are in…mamas do better with a trained labor support professional! Got Doula?”
The Essential Ingredient: Doula
(c) SBD 2013-2017